Skip to main content

NEW WAY TO USE ZUCCHINI! Zucchini Crisp (Mock Apple) AT HOME MY WAY.



 Recipes at the Top:  Chit Chat at the Bottom

Zucchini Crisp (Mock Apple)

Printable View Here

Filling:

4 cups peeled, seeds removed, and sliced / diced zucchini (about 3/4 of a huge zucchini) 

1/3 cup lemon juice (I used bottled lemon juice.)

2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

¼ cup sugar

Pinch of salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Crisp Topping:

½ cup old fashioned or quick oats (I used quick oats)

¼ cup all purpose flour

½ cup light brown sugar

¼ teaspoon cinnamon

3 Tablespoons cold butter plus more for greasing the pan

 

Instructions:

·         Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Filling:

·    Peel the zucchini, slice into smaller sections and then cut each section in half (like a half moon).  Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and then slice or chop the zucchini into pieces.  

·    In a medium saucepan, add the zucchini pieces, lemon juice, flour, sugar, salt & cinnamon.  Stir well and heat until the zucchini pieces turn clear and the mixture is bubbly and thick.

·    Grease a round pie pan or 8x8 pan.  (You can double the recipe and bake in a 9x13.)

Crisp topping:

·    Combine the oats, flour, sugar and cinnamon.  Mix well.

·    Cut butter into small pieces and blend into the oat mixture.  I blended mine with a pastry blender but a fork will work too.  Just mix the butter into the dry mix as best as you can.  Feel free to use clean fingers if you have to.

     Spread across the filling in the pan.

Bake (uncovered) at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.

Let cool a few minutes before serving.

 

The Chit Chat

This weekend, I had two huge zucchini squash still on my counter and so while I was canning some dill relish, I tossed together this Zucchini Crisp recipe.  You have GOT TO TRY IT!  It's so delicious!  Don't let the garden gifts go to waste!  Let's find a way to use up every little thing.  Here's how I made  Mock Apple Crisp with Zucchini AT HOME MY WAY!

Sundays I like to make dessert to go with Sunday Dinner.  This past Sunday I knew I had lots of canning to do -  dill pickles and dill pickle relish.  It was super hot outside and I had lots to do inside so I knew I had to get that party started.  I knew I wouldn't want to cook supper after such a busy day so first thing, I put some frozen chicken in the crockpot with some salt & pepper.  I turned on the crockpot to low for 8 hours.  Definitely it was a crockpot to the rescue kind of day.  My plan was to make:

Canning my dill relish/pickles went great!  Canning dill pickles is one of the smells of summer for me.  I love it!  I had so many cucumbers!  I dream about those things all winter so I really wanted to make the most of them and not let them go to waste.

After the two water bath batches were finished, I took a dip in the pool to cool down and then dressed for a trip to Walmart for some sweet corn.  I don't get home in time to catch fresh corn at the local farm stands but Walmart has had some really good corn lately.  At 25 cents an ear, you cannot go wrong!

Once back at home, I added some BBQ sauce to the chicken in the crockpot and stirred the pieces around so they weren't in one big blob (which was how they landed in the crockpot from the freezer).

I mixed up some instant mashed potatoes and added the remaining ingredients for Twice Baked Potato Casserole (Doug can't get enough of this stuff lately and will eat every bite leftover for days until it is completely gone!)  I got that in the oven while I looked around dessert ingredients.

What for dessert?  Well, I still had two HUGE zucchinis from the garden and remembered making Zucchini Cobbler once before - many years ago.  It went over great but at the time, I remember thinking I might like a crisp better than a cobbler.  Pinterest never fails me and I found a great recipe for Zucchini Crisp!  It used the same method as my cobbler recipe for turning the zucchini into apples.  To me, apples just beg for crisp topping and so I knew the mock apple filling made with zucchini would be a great combo!

This recipe turned out perfectly!  My kitchen smelled just like apples and cinnamon and Doug couldn't believe the "Apple" Crisp I pulled out of the oven was actually made with zucchini!  It tasted and smelled just like apples, chewed like apples and hey - actually looked just like apples too!

If you have a big old zucchini laying around, give this recipe a try!  Let me know if anyone tries it and how your family liked Zucchini Crisp / Mock Apple made AT HOME MY WAY!

Here's some pics along the way!



See?  They look just like apples after peeling, removing seeds, and slicing!


Cooking the zucchini slices made my house smell just like apple pie!  
I tasted them and yep - tasted just like apple pie too!


Spread in the dish and waiting to be covered in the crisp topping.  Mmmm!


Ready for the oven!  Amazing!

Come on over!  I shared my recipe here and there are some wonderful recipes posted there this week!




Enjoy!


 


 

Gina

 

 

Comments

  1. We love zucchini and will be trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear how you like it! Thanks for commenting. So good to see you here!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Dill Pickles EVER! (Just like Claussen) (Easy - no canning!)

Do you want to make the best, easiest homemade dill pickles in the world?   I found a recipe for dill pickles that tastes JUST LIKE Claussen refrigerator pickles.  Those are the best anyway, right?  That crunch, the dill and the garlic... and oh yea , the crunch!  This recipe is super easy because you  don't have to process these pickles which means there is no canning needed.   You just fill a gallon jar (we use an old pickle jar) with fresh cucumbers and dill heads, and then pour over the cooled liquids/seasonings.   Let it sit on the counter for three days, and then refrigerate.  After that, the pickle eating begins. They are supposed to keep for one year like that in the fridge, without canning.  (We let them sit for the 3 days, then refrigerated them overnight before opening the jar for the much anticipated first taste. Did they taste like Claussen?  YOU BET YOUR PRETTY PICKLE THEY DID!  We were all SO ex...

Easy Peasy Parmesan Chicken in the Crockpot (Only 5 ingredients!)

Do you need a super easy, "dump and go" crockpot meal that is super delicious and tastes like you are eating out?  I have a good one for you today! RECIPES AT THE TOP - CHIT CHAT AT THE BOTTOM Here's how I now make Crockpot Parmesan Chicken AT HOME MY WAY. (I have re-posted about about this recipe HERE .  Same recipe.  It is just that good!) Dump & Go Crockpot Parmesan Chicken *only FIVE ingredients plus the pasta* (Print the Recipe / View on one page:      HERE)  6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts/tenders (frozen or thawed) 1 1/2 cups (app.) of seasoned canned bread crumbs  1/4 cup of  parmesan  cheese (I use the green can.) 1 or 2 jars (24 oz each) of prepared spaghetti sauce (Prego, Ragu, etc.) (Classico is my favorite lately.) Mozzarella  (shredded) (Serve with cooked pasta.  We use penne.) Instructions : Place chicken pieces in the crockpot (as much as your family needs).  (I use frozen because my crockpot cooks ...

Buttermilk Biscuits - Just like Cracker Barrel!

RECIPES AT THE TOP - CHIT CHAT AT THE BOTTOM! Here's how we make Buttermilk Biscuits AT HOME MY WAY: Buttermilk Biscuits (just like Cracker Barrel) (Makes about 8 biscuits.) PRINTABLE RECIPE HERE Ingredients: 2 cups SELF RISING flour  (self rising flour gives the perfect taste to homemade biscuits) 1/3 cup shortening  (cold real butter also works here) 1 1/4 cup buttermilk*  *NOTE:  (If using regular milk combined with lemon juice vinegar referenced below, you only need 1 cup of milk because thinner regular milk uses less by volume than the thick real buttermilk.) Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (Make sure your flour is "fluffed" not straight from the bag;  Dump it in a larger container and stir using up and down motion to fluff it up a little bit-THEN measure out 2 cups).  Measure 2 cups SELF RISING flour into a mixing bowl.  Add shortening and cut it until small and crumbly. A fork works fine for this purpose ...