Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Remaking Leftovers into Something Wonderful! - Barbequed Ham


Barbequed Ham
"Monday, Monday..." (singing)!

I would have to say that it was a crazy Monday yesterday.  I don't think it was just me though.  Maybe that full harvest moon is still affecting us all!  I knew the day was full of unexpected surprises when I dropped my phone as I got out of my car in our work parking lot first thing Monday morning.  The pieces went all underneath my car.  I thought about backing up my car to retrieve the pieces but the pieces were placed so that I was afraid I would turn and back over some of them... So, even though I was all dressed up for the office, I had to crawl UNDER my car with my whole body like a mechanic but on my stomach to get the pieces to my phone.  AND.. as I was crawling out, OF COURSE, a lady pulled into the spot behind me and witnessed all the Monday fun!  She was nice.. just said, "Its Monday already, isn't it?"  The only good thing was that I had on mostly black yesterday ha-ha.

I put a ham in my crockpot on Friday.  I love to cook bone-in hams in my crockpot.  It's a great way to have something to eat over the weekend.  We eat it the first time as regular ham, or as ham sandwiches with soup.  Then, we usually eat some for breakfast like we did this past weekend when we had fried ham and Perfect Pancakes.  Monday we still had some ham leftovers so I made one of our favorite meals.  Outside of it being a way to use Leftovers to Make Something Wonderful, Barbequed Ham is one of my favorite things to make for supper.  Some people think this sounds like a weird combination but its really so delicious!  The ham and BBQ sauce get all carmelized and the ham slices become super tender.  I usually serve it with mac and cheese or a potato of some sort.  We used to get tired of ham before we ran out of ham leftovers, but this is a new taste for ham and turns it into a whole different supper.  We have discovered that by making barbequed ham, we rarely have any leftovers after making it into this meal.  I love to make this in my iron skillet.  The picture truly doesn't do it justice.  I hope you'll give it a try!

Here's how I make Barbequed Ham AT HOME MY WAY:


Barbequed Ham

  • Leftover ham slices or a ham steak cut into small pork chop sized portions
  • 3/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce - we like sweet BBQ sauce like hickory -brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of water (this is a relative measurement - after it cooks down, I sometimes add more to juice it up a bit)
Instructions:  Place ham slices/pieces in a skillet.  Turn the burner on med/high until the ham starts to sizzle.  Add 1/2 cup water and the BBQ sauce.  Stir and flip the meat, blending the water/BBQ sauce some.  Cook/simmer on medium low until the BBQ sauce starts to cook down and caramelize, occasionally flipping each piece of ham.  If the BBQ cooks completely down, you can add a little more water, like 1/4 cup, to juice it up a bit.  Cook a few more minutes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment