Whenever we have spaghetti or lasagna, I always have to have this salad! Also goes terrific with ham dinners LOL! This combination may sound a little strange, but trust me when I tell you, it is delicious! Also, I think this is a great recipe for cooking from the pantry. Give it a try!
"Pineapple Lettuce" (This is what we call it!)
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 head rinsed, drained, and chopped lettuce
- 1 can chunk pineapple
- 1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 5 Tablespoons juice from draining the can of pineapple
- Rinse the lettuce, removing the core. Drain for a few minutes on a tea towel. Chop lettuce as you would for salad. Put it in a bowl.
- Drain the can of chunk pineapple, reserving the juice for use in the dressing. Place the pineapple on top of the lettuce in the bowl.
- Top the lettuce and pineapple in the bowl with grated cheddar cheese.
- Mix the dressing ingredients. Stirring well to dissolve the sugar. Wait to add the dressing until just before you are ready to serve the salad. When ready to serve, drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss the entire salad to incorporate the dressing, cheese, pineapple, and lettuce. Its divine!