Thursday, May 29, 2014

Homemade Brownie Mix for the Pantry


I have posted several recipes for homemade Brownies in my blog.  They are all delicious!  Here they are:







I've posted recipes for brownies made with black beans, which is completely DELICIOUS:


I've even posted a one serving recipe for brownies:




Apparently I LOVE brownies ha!  Seriously, what I do love is making something at home that most people make from a box and have to get at the store.  My mission is always to find great substitutes for boxed food that I can make at home. Hopefully this saves me money but also I am looking to eliminate as many unknown ingredients from my  family's diet as possible.  Since brownies make my family super happy, these recipes are great substitutes for boxed brownies!

The recipe I am posting today is for a basic, small batch of brownies.  I love this little batch of brownies.  I keep this brownie mix in pint canning jars in my pantry, ready for action.  This recipe uses few ingredients and is easy to mix up.  I just dump it in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients, which are only eggs, oil, and vanilla.


Often I want a little snack to have around the house, for dessert, for breakfast, or for packing for lunch.  Yes, I realize brownies are not breakfast items, but SOME PEOPLE like chocolate poptarts for breakfast and this is just as good for you (or, not nearly as bad for you) as that, right?



I use my canning funnel and measure the ingredients right into the jars.  I also write the instructions directly on one of those plastic white lids that fit canning jars.  And to top it off, I write the recipe for the mix INSIDE the lid, so that when I use one up, I can mix up another without digging around for the recipe:




I have started placing other recipes that I use all the time right in convenient places.  For instance, I have little notes taped to my bread machine for the recipes for my favorite Homemade Sandwich Bread recipe, Schoolhouse roll recipe, and Cinnamon Raisin Bread recipe.  I make these recipes all the time and they are so much handier to find them right on the bread machine, or in this case, right on the lid to the brownie mix jar.


Here's how I make Homemade Brownie Mix AT HOME MY WAY:



Homemade Brownie Mix
(Makes one 8x8 square or round pan of brownies.)

In a pint size canning jar or quart resealable baggie, add:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Write instructions and additional ingredients on the jar, baggie, or label somehow.

Instructions/Additional Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 eggs (blended)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
INSTRUCTIONS:  Combine jar mix with additional ingredients and stir until well blended.  Bake in sprayed 8 x 8 pan or 8-9 round pan at 350° (fully preheated oven) for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.

*Can add chocolate chips, nuts, etc.


Enjoy!


Gina



1 comment: