Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sunken Apple Cake -



The other night when I made the Chili Mac, I also whipped up this Sunken Apple Cake.

I found the recipe at a favorite blog - Chickens in the Road.  Suzanne posted this recipe and said that she even made this little cake after arriving home from a long trip.  Heck, if she has the energy to mix this up after driving from Texas, surely I can mix it up after a long day of visiting at home LOL!  Here is Suzanne's terrific post about this recipe.

I loved everything about this little cake.  It's a small, snack-size cake, made from scratch with items I usually keep in my pantry.  Suzanne used apples and I had two apples left on my little apple tree so I used those.  But, you could use most any fresh or even drained, canned fruit.  It would be great served as a coffee cake for a breakfast treat or when friends stop by to chat and you want a little something to serve.

Sometimes my husband's mom and his aunts all gather together for coffee at his mom's house to catch up and I'm certain I will be making this soon to share with them.  It was delicious although not overly sweet. Another keeper!

Here's how I made Sunken Apple AT HOME MY WAY:

Sunken Apple Cake

Ingredients for the cake:
  • 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (unbleached is best)
  • 2/3 cup sugar (regular, white, granulated)
  • 2 teaspoons baking POWDER
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter (melted) (I used 1/4 cup oil - worked FINE)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract (I used VANILLA)
  • 3 cups sliced/chopped apples
Ingredients for the topping:

1/4 cup sliced/slivered almonds
1/4 cup brown sugar


Instructions:

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the cake.  Mix well (I just stirred/whipped really well and didn't use a mixer although Suzanne recommends using a mixer).  Pour batter into a sprayed or prepared 8" square pan or pie plate (I used a pie plate).  Place apples on top, evenly.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until it a knife inserted comes back clean.

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and almonds.

Sprinkle over hot cake and return to the oven and broil on high for a few minutes, watching CAREFULLY so as not to burn the topping.

Enjoy!
Gina
 Before it went into the oven.


Mixing up the topping in a little bowl with a fork.  Easy!


Sprinkled hot cake with topping.


In the words of the Fonz.... "Perfectamundo!"


No comments:

Post a Comment