Thursday, March 21, 2013

Cream of Chicken Soup - Homemade




This morning I wanted to put one of our favorite meals in the crockpot, Crockpot Chicken & Biscuits.  Wouldn't you know it, I was out of canned Cream of Chicken Soup!

No worries, I knew I had seen several recipes and posts for homemade cream of chicken soup.  Google to the rescue!

I had some homemade chicken stock in my freezer so I stuck that in the microwave to thaw while I was getting out my crockpot.  This recipe is simple, smells yummy cooking, and was a breeze to make.  I put the entire recipe together in about 10 minutes which included thawing the chicken stock, all before I jumped in the shower to get ready for work.

This cream of chicken soup is condensed so if you want to use it for regular soup-eating, then add equal parts soup and milk.  I will probably only use it for casseroles and crockpot recipes.  I dumped half of it over my chicken in the crockpot for today's meal and put the rest in a jar (with plenty of head space) for the freezer.

Here's how I made Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup AT HOME MY WAY:

Homemade - Cream of Chicken Soup
 
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cube of chicken bouillon cube
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (or less; taste to test)
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 3/4 cup flour
Directions:
1. In smallish/medium saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for 2 minutes.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of COLD milk and flour.
3. Add the flour/milk mixture to the broth mixture. Continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.

TA-DA!  You're done!








1 comment:

  1. This CREAM SOUP would be very handy, super convenient, and inexpensive to make ahead, if IT could be Canned/Preserved ahead for future use!

    When preserving, just make the Cream Soup plain with just the seasonings and WITHOUT ANY FLAVORINGS. Then when it's used just add whatever flavorings desired to it...whether it be for Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Celery, Etc.
    Enjoy!

    Variations:
    Add BEEF BROTH and a BEEF BOUILLON CUBE in place of the Chicken Broth and Chicken Bouillon Cube, especially when making Cream Of Mushroom Soup-use fresh or canned Mushrooms Celery-diced small/Celery Seeds, Etc.

    ReplyDelete