Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Applesauce Turnovers - Super Easy



Sometimes don't you just get a hankering for something sweet?  I definitely do!  And sometimes I'm not all fired up about making a complicated recipe but that doesn't take away from the fact that I would like something hot, sweet and yummy!

The other night I decided to throw caution to the wind (ha!) and throw a few things together.  Pie crust is always a good thing, rigth?  Applesauce is already great, right?  Put the two together and - bazinga!  You've got dessert.

Why hadn't I thought of this earlier?  Who needs all of that peeling, dicing, and sugaring?  Applesauce is already diced, chopped, and sweetened.  I had a premade pie crust leftover and lounging in the fridge after Thanksgiving.  I already had some homemade, canned applesauce in my pantry (although any applesauce would be perfectly fine - I just happened to have my own canned applesauce).  Together they made a fast, simple, and super delicious sweet treat!

After eating these little yummies, my daughter and I decided they were similar to poptarts, but better for you.  We think we'll try some different combinations next time.  Possibly chocolate chips, jam, a mixture of brownsugar cinnamon, cherry pie filling.  I would say that if you have some pie crust already made, or can mix some together, you would pretty much always have something you could "turn" into these turnovers!

Here's how I made Applesauce Turnovers AT HOME MY WAY:
 
 
Applesauce Turnovers
 
  • Premade pie crust (cold from the fridge is fine)
  • Prepared applesauce
  • Cinnamon/sugar (just for sprinkling), plain sugar would work fine.
 
Directions:  Preheat oven to 350°.  Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray or lightly oil (very lightly).  Cut the pie crust in fourths.  Spoon about 2 Tablespoons applesauce on each section of crust.  Fold over, pinching to seal.  Sprinkle with sugar or cinnamon/sugar mixture.
 
Bake until golden brown.  (10-12 minutes).  Cool before eating.


I am sharing this recipe here:
 


1 comment: