Monday, August 6, 2012

Sunday Cooking

I spent yesterday cooking lots of recipes that I already have posted.  But they bear repeating because they are delicious. 

I like to have some homemade bread for my sandwiches (I say MY because my husband prefers the store bread that is as soft as cake (ick) and I wanted something a little more toothy for my garden tomato sandwiches ha!) so I made a wheat/molasses version of my Homemade Sandwich Bread.  (I used 2 cups all-purpose non-bleached white flour with 1 cup of whole wheat flour and substituted molasses for the sugar in the loaf I made.  This picture is not the loaf I made yesterday.)



We were barbequing one piece of steak and a few chicken tenders I found in my freezer for supper so I also made a loaf of Crusty French Bread.  It turns out just perfect!  I'm thinking I might put a few loaves of this in my freezer for using to make garlic bread (instead of buying those premade loaves of french bread at the grocery store).



Also, for my breakfasts for the week I made Tin Can Banana Bread (although I baked mine in the oven since I already had the oven on baking the other loaves of bread). 



One more thing I made that I hadn't made before was a recipe from Lynn's Kitchen Adventures.  I made Lynn's recipe for Homemade Lemon Pudding.  I have a confession though... I just could not bring myself to use three egg yolks in this pudding.  I'm not a fan of eggs.  The thought of all of that cholesterol would not let me use three although some of you may not worry about that at all.  Its just a weird thing with me.  I can happily report that this pudding turned out PERFECT using one egg.  I did add a little bit of yellow food coloring to make my pudding LOOK like lemon pudding.  Its really delicious!  I will be making more homemade puddings.  I put my pudding in small canning jars and plastic containers for individual servings.  I can't wait to try coconut pudding next time!  (I'll try to snap a picture of my containers of pudding to add to this post later on.)  I'm having some trouble getting Lynn's site to load, so I'll include the pudding recipe.  She does use three egg yolks in her recipe and I only used one. 

Lemon Pudding

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed would be best but I used bottled)
  • 2 tablespoons margarine (room temperature)
  • 1 tiny dot of yellow food coloring

Directions:

Whisk the sugar and the cornstarch together in a medium saucepan. Add the milk and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat until thick.  Remove 1/2 cup or so of thickened milk/sugar/cornstart and add to the egg yolk.  Stir to blend.  Add back to the pot (tempering the egg).  Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until thick.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and butter.  After blended well, add a tiny dot/drop of yellow food coloring and stir well to blend.

Pour into serving dish or individual containers.

Let cool to room temperature.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days, or until set and thoroughly chilled. Serve chilled.


Over all, waking up this Monday morning I felt pretty inspired by my cooking yesterday.  I love to cook and I love having homemade things to eat.  It made leaving for work on Monday a whole lot easier knowing I was a little more prepared for breakfasts, lunches and even some dessert!

Have a good week!

Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment