Tuesday, August 14, 2012

How Do You Like Your Oatmeal?



We're talking super cheap breakfast here!  Oatmeal! 

After weeks of 100+ weather here in Missouri, this week we have had the most wonderful weather!  Yesterday it only got up to 74 degrees!  Loved that!  And after lots of heat and no rain, a cool, cloudy morning rejuvenated my craving for oatmeal.

And there's absolutely NO REASON to buy those little packets.  Truly, oatmeal is easy and quick without little packets.

You just don't get much cheaper than oatmeal.  A huge container of oats costs about $1.50.  I make mine with one-half milk; one-half water, a little cinnamon, and whatever fruit I have on hand, in the freezer or maybe none at all.  I'm guessing this breakfast only costs pennies!  Mine cooks while I'm packing my lunch and getting ready for work.  I would say its almost as fast as pouring a bowl of cereal.  (One tiny hint:  I keep a 1/4 cup measuring cup in my oatmeal container.)

Here's how I make oatmeal - AT HOME MY WAY:


Old Fashioned Oatmeal
(one serving)
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats
  • 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (I just give it a few shakes.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (don't forget this!)
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.  Simmer 5 minutes stirring occasionally. (If you use quick oats, it will take less time... just read the oatmeal container to find out how long.)  Top with fruit, applesauce, nuts, granola, and grab a spoon!  (I prefer a big dallop of homemade applesauce!)

Personally, I don't like making oatmeal in the microwave because it is uncontrollable in there.  It swells up out of the container when cooked in the microwave (not on the stove though) until it makes a huge mess. So, just get out a small pot and do it the old fashioned way.

I scoop my cooked oatmeal into a to-go container, top with applesauce, and snap on a lid and I'm ready to go.  I usually eat mine on the ride to work (my hubby drives) or I eat it after I get to the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment