Saturday, July 21, 2012



Crockpot Lasagna Made with Uncooked Pasta!



I LOVE meals that I can throw together in the morning and have ready pretty much as soon as I open my front door!  I've discovered that some crockpot meals are more of a "finished product" with less added cooking to get the meal ready and this is one of those meals.  My daughter suggested we try this method - making lasagna with jarred sauce, cheese, and uncooked pasta!  We really didn't know how this would turn out.  But it was fabulous!  Perfect!  We loved it!  Definitely we will be making it all the time.

Here's how I made Crockpot Lasana Made with Uncooked Pasta AT HOME MY WAY:


Crockpot Lasagna with Uncooked Pasta
  • 1 large jar of your favorite pasta sauce (or 3-4 cups of your favorite homemade sauce)
  • 1/2 of this jar - water
  • Ground beef/italian sausage, whatever you like (I used about 1 pound of burger)
  • Lasagna pasta (uncooked)
  • Salt
  • Cheese (we usually only use mozzerella but if you like ricotta, use whatever you like).
Brown the ground beef, drain.  Add the jar of pasta sauce.  Add 1/2 of the jar with water to the sauce/meat mixture and stir.  (This will be VERY runny - which it needs to be to add liquid because you are cooking the pasta in the sauce.) 

Add one layer of sauce to the crockpot. 
Break the pasta at a length you need for the widest - the middle.  Lay it on the sauce.  Fit other pieces of uncooked pasta over the sauce. Salt the pasta.
More sauce.
More pasta.  More sprinkles of salt.
Until you think you only have one layer left of your sauce (which will you need to finish with).
After the last layer of sauce.)

(I only add cheese at the end when I get home.  We didn't miss the cheese and it lowered the calories/fat for this dish.)

Cover with the lid.  Turn on low and cook 8-10 hours.

When you get home - sprinkle with cheese.  I used about 2 cups of grated mozzerella.

Put the lid on and go change your clothes, whatever you have to do for about 10 minutes.

Once the cheese is melted, GOBBLE IT UP!

We loved this easy, frugal, quick way to get dinner on the table fast!  I hope you like it.



7 comments:

  1. That looks DELICIOUS! Thanks so much for sharing it with me! I love cooking in the crockpot:) Have a blessed evening, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for posting! It WAS VERY delicious! I couldn't believe it. Usually lasagna is such a time consuming endeavor ha-ha. I did use Aldi traditional spaghetti sauce and we all agreed (even my picky hubby) that it was perfect in this. I think this would also work with seashells or ziti or something. Thanks again for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I have to try this! Summer time is a great time to break out the slow cooker so you don't have to heat the whole kitchen to cook a meal. And this is so easy! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love to see that you have visited my blog, Veronica! Hope you are surviving the heat wave there in Kansas. So HOT in Missouri! I agree about using the slow cooker in the summer. Definitely it's worth its weight in gold for putting a meal on the table without heating up the kitchen! Try to stay cool...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are surviving but I'm hiding indoors mostly! :) I made this overnight and we had it for breakfast (our breakfast is in the afternoon-we're night owls). I wouldn't cook it more than 8 hours next time, the noodles were very mushy after 9 hours, but it was a good meal! I love this idea and will probably do it again when I'm only going to be away for 6 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veronica, I saw that it was 111 degrees yesterday in Wichita! Oh my! I'm sorry its so hot for you!

    Glad you tried this. Yes, probably each different crockpot cooks at different heat levels as well. I have one that cooks pretty low so maybe that's why I was ok with it on all day (its ancient LOL). If your crockpot cooks too fast, maybe using a timer on your outlet might shut it off at the right time if you aren't home. Just a thought though... Glad you tried it! Take care! Thanks for posting an update! I always love hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I bet that's the difference. I still have a crockpot from the 80s and I kid you not, it takes TWO DAYS to cook a roast in it! AAA! So maybe I should use that one for lasagna. Haha! The one I used is new so it likely runs hotter than yours--I bet 4 hours on low would be perfect and will try that next time. I did use the timer but it kept it on warm--I thought that's why it was so mushy but prob it was the difference in heat.

    OH, I forgot to tell you I had a dream while it was cooking that I woke up and found the crockpot exploded! And then when I tried to clean it up, it exploded AGAIN in my face! So I was pretty happy to see the crockpot was in one piece when I woke up. haha!

    ReplyDelete