Coconut Pecan Baked Oatmeal
Here's how I made Coconut Pecan Baked Oatmeal AT HOME MY WAY:
COCONUT PECAN BAKED OATMEAL
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs (slightly beaten) (just whites works fine or egg beaters)
- ½ cup margarine/butter or oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups shredded coconut (I used sweetened coconut)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped or lay on top before baking.
COCONUT PECAN BAKED OATMEAL - HALF BATCH - for baking in a pie plate, 8x8 square pan, or a loaf pan (the loaf pan makes a deeper dish of baked oatmeal which I prefer).
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (dark or light)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shredded coconut (I used sweetened)
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped or use halves and lay them on top before baking
Directions: Preheat oven to 350. Mix oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a small mixing bowl. In a separate dish (I used my 2-cup measurer), measure the milk to 1/2 cup. Add 1/4 cup of oil. Mix in the blended egg. Stir well to mix. Then add the liquid ingredients to the dry in the bowl. Stir well. Stir in the coconut and nuts (or lay the nuts on top before baking). Pour into lightly oiled or sprayed pie pan, 8x8 square pan, or loaf pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned.
To avoid rushing and help me to get this ready before I leave for work, I mix up the dry ingredients before bed, get my measuring cup and oil out as well as the cooking spray and the pan I'm going to use for baking it. That way, in the morning before my shower I just have to measure the milk in the measuring cup, then measure in the oil, add the egg, vanilla, blend and add to the dry ingredients. Then spray my pan, pour in the recipe, and stick it in the oven. While I'm in the shower my breakfast is baking and creating a delicious smell in my kitchen!