Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Making Throwed Rolls (Lambert's) At Home My Way


I enjoyed a much appreciated few days off for New Years.  Let's suffice it to say that I like to cook A LOT and boy did I ever cook a bunch.  I needed to come back to work to stay away from the kitchen LOL.  I'll blog the recipes for some of the other recipes I tried over the next couple of days.  But, the first is a recipe I had in my "to make" file for hot rolls.  They are supposed to taste like Lambert's famous Throwed Rolls.  Well... I haven't ever been to that restaurant.  I live in Missouri, however  I have never been to Sikeston. But, they have rave reviews and I figured they had to be yummy! 

They were light, fluffy, yeasty, and a tad sweet.  Really GOOD! We served them along with BBQ'ed pork chops since we were enjoying super nice weather for New Year's Day.  I had mine with some homemade Baked Apple Butter (recipe to come).  Mmmm - it was a feast!  I especially loved the pull-apart way the rolls are formed in the muffin tins.  They just come apart right where the good stuff needs to go!

Here's how I made "Throwed Rolls (Lambert's)" At Home My Way:

Throwed Rolls (Lambert's)

Yield:



12 large dinner rolls


Ingredients:


  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 pkg.) active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
  • 1 cup warm milk (110-115 degrees F)
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
Instructions:


(See additional notes for bread machine directions.  That's how I made my dough.)


In a small bowl, combine the teaspoon of sugar and the yeast with the warm water and allow to foam (5-10 minutes).   In a large mixing bowl, mix the warm milk, melted butter, sugar, egg and salt. Add the yeast mixture and stir. Stir in 3 cups of flour. Stir or knead in another cup of flour (or more, if needed) and knead for 5-10 minutes to make a smooth, elastic dough.Scrape the large mixing bowl clean (or as clean as possible) and place dough in the bowl. Grease the top of the dough with butter or oil and cover with a clean cloth. Place in a warm location (I turn the oven on for 1-2 minutes, then turn OFF and place covered bowl in the warm oven to rise) and let rise until doubled in size, about 60-90 minutes.


Liberally butter a 12-cup muffin pan. With buttery hands, deflate the dough and divide into 24 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Place two balls in each muffin cup. Gently grease the tops and cover with a clean towel.


Let rolls rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in size, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake rolls for 20-25 minutes, until tops are browned and rolls are done. (Check rolls after 15 minutes, and cover loosely with foil to prevent excess browning, if needed.)



Brush with melted butter hot out of the oven.



I made my dough in the bread machine like this:

I mixed the yeast + 1/4 cup warm water.  I added the sugar, then warm milk, lightly beaten egg.  Blended well.  Added to my bread pan.  Then topped with the flour and salt.  When the dough setting was finished, I proceded with forming my rolls in the muffin pan.



I realize my pictures are terrible.  My skill is in the kitchen, NOT behind the lense LOL.


  I placed them for safe keeping (from nibblers) in the microwave before supper ;)


My attempt at posing food is really pitiful..

1 comment:

  1. YES! I think this is exactly the recipe I use for white rolls, wait except no water. They are so good, it's ridonkulous! These are like dessert to me.

    ReplyDelete