Do they taste like Clausen? YOU BET YOUR PRETTY PICKLE THEY DO! We were all SO excited. You would have thought we struck gold! I guess we struck GREEN!
These are SO EASY! Even if you aren't a canner, try these! They are so good!
We made spears but I just bought one of those little cutters that makes waffle fries so we can make fancy thick slices. These are definitely better made AT HOME MY WAY!
Best Dill Pickles EVER (Just like Clausen)
(Easy - No Canning!)
- 1 gallon cucumbers (do not use the store bought regular cukes with the wax on them - use pickling cucumbers)
- 1/3 cup dried minced onion (you get in the spice isle)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled, and chopped small
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 6 heads fresh dill
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup canning salt (do NOT use regular salt - use CANNING SALT)
Wash and slice cucumbers lengthwise into spears. Add the dill in the jars first, then put in the sliced cucumbers. (Some of our dill heads were large and we counted them as two.)
Boil liquids and all seasonings to dissolve the salt then cool. Pour over pickles, COVER WITH LID TO THE JAR (sorry.. didn't have this part in the original post), and let sit on counter for three days turning them occasionally (we just put a towel over the lid - so as not to leak - and turned the jar upside down and did easy shakes, and returned to upright). After 3 days on the counter, refrigerate overnight. Now try one! Crunch! YUM!
Please do not try to use the regular grocery store cucumbers, they have wax on them and they will not turn out. You can use grocery store pickling cucumbers as they are not waxed.
This recipe has been shared at: