Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Homemade Taco Salads with homemade tortilla bowls


Hello!  I haven't posted anything in SO LONG!  So sorry... life just happens sometimes.  But I made something for supper this week that definitely bears posting!  I made tacos for supper (I know this isn't anything special), but we all like different kinds of tacos.  I like taco salads.  My daughter likes hers baked (meat and cheese in the crunchy shells baked until all melty-she tells me they are just like Jack in the Box tacos), and her boyfriend likes soft tacos.  We were all happy because I cooked the taco meat and then had all the fixings for however we wanted to assemble them so we all got just what we wanted with very little effort!

A little background on the tortilla bowls, .... I was watching TV the other night and saw one of those crazy commercials that has the fast talking salesman on there, selling this mold for making your own taco salad tortilla bowl.  Well, who really needs one of those things?  I just took a baking pan, turned an oven-proof bowl upside down on it, sprayed the bowl with cooking spray, and layed a flour tortilla on it!  Ta-da!  Homemade taco salad tortilla bowl!  It wasn't super crunchy like Taco Bell (of course because it wasn't fried), but I'm BIG on healthier, homemade versions anyway so this was PERFECT for me! Yes, it was still VERY CRUNCHY.  Just not the exact same as fried.   In fact, they were so good that we ate the leftovers the next night the very same way.

Here's how I made Homemade Taco Salads with homemade tortilla bowls AT HOME MY WAY:

Homemade Taco Salads with Homemade Tortilla Bowls

  • Taco Meat (I browned about 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef, added 3/4 cup of salsa that I had in my fridge, added 1 teaspoon onion powder, and 1 Tablespoon chili powder, also some salt & pepper - [no prepackaged mixes this way!])
  • Flour tortillas for making the Tortilla bowls (however many you need) (you could make homemade tortillas but I didn't)
  • Cooking Spray
  • OVEN PROOF bowls or mugs
  • A baking sheet or pan for baking.  The bowls have to fit on the pan with plenty of room.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place the bowls on the baking pan upside down.  Spray with cooking spray.  Lay a tortilla over each bowl. Bake 15-20 minutes or until sufficiently browned.

Remove from the oven.  And fill with your favorite taco salad fixings!  I used (in this order):

Lettuce
Taco meat
Salsa
Grated Cheese
Tomatoes
Sour Cream


My bowl could have been smaller so that the shell folded over for a more authentic look, but y'all know I'm the queen of making do!


Ready for all the goodies!


Let me know how your family likes HOMEMADE TACO SALAD TORTILLA BOWLS!

 
I am sharing this recipe at:
 

5 comments:

  1. Love the look of this.
    Glad I found you through It's a Keeper's linky party. I linked in bacon and scrambled egg rolls. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! This is what I love about taco fixings, you can also use them to make salads and burritos and even nachos--so fun! I saw a blog where she made her own taco shells by putting the tortillas draped on the oven rack lines and baked them, which reminds me of what you did. Love DIY stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The subject of this week's Food on Friday is Salad. It would be great if you linked this in. This is the link .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do something similar...I use an empty tin can. Spray the can and place the torilla shell over it makes for a good tall bowl. I keep a couple of cans handy for taco salad. great blog just started looking over your post. I have found a few recipes I will be saving and trying. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. TN Ladybug: Great idea! I have some cans that I use for my "tin-can banana bread" (the recipe is posted on the blog). I will try that tonight since I think I'm having taco salad.

    Great timing! Thx!

    ReplyDelete